In a few months I’ll be COSing (meaning I will be on a plane back to the USA). As my time winds down, finishing up teaching, and closing friendships made while here, I’ve reflected a lot. I’m going to miss certain things of my two year (epic) adventure:
- The life of another culture and what is important to them.
- Going to a person’s house and them insisting on me meeting their entire family (aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents). They are happy that I came to visit.
- Riding on a moto (with helmet) on dirt roads in the bush (it’s scary, but exhilarating!)
- Being appreciated by students and community members who acknowledge the sacrifice we make to come from what we know to embrace theirs
- The down-time to read a multitude of books!
- Wearing outlandish, mismatching clothes, (Pagne)
- Having a good laugh with someone we perceive as different (skin color, religion, culture, beliefs). No, we are the same; body, soul, desires, emotions, we’re human.
- And last, but not least- of all the ill-feelings from time to time, lessons learned, difficult situations, reality that hurts…
... it has not killed me, however, only made me stronger. And for that, I’m grateful. Hasta luego todos.